Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Slow Boat, Laos, New Years



Hello from Laos!
I hope everyone who reads this had a great christmas in new years. My were obviously very different that what I am used to, but were great. My last post was from christmas and a lot has happened since. After that Janez and I hopped on a bus up to the northern border of Thailand. From here we crossed into Laos and took a two-day slow boat ride down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, Laos. The boat ride was slow, cramped, and fairly uncomfortable, but it was very enjoyable. We met a lot of people, played a lot of cards, and drank a decent amount of Beer Lao on the boat. In the middle of the two days we stopped in a little town called Pak Beng which only has electricity from 6-10pm. The scenery was also amazing on the Mekong. Unfortunately we only got to spend one night in Luang Prabang before heading south to a town called Vang Vieng. The bus we took was more of a roller coaster than a bus ride, pretty intense. Ive never been on a bus that goes down 10-15% grades, around sharp curves, and actually ACELERATES. I dont know how I didnt get sick but we did make good time. Now we are in Vang Vieng and I am loving this place. Our days are mostly spent by the river doing a little drinking and going off rope swings and ziplines. One day we rented motorbikes and drove up to a big cave which we hiked into. Other than that this is a really lazy town as well. Every restaraunt plays the show Friends on repeat, so I have been catching up on some episodes I never saw. New Years was awesome. Our group got together and we definetly hit it hard. There was an amazing party at a place called smile bar. It was packed with backpackers. Lots of buckets were consumed. I think I have most of my itinerary figured out now. I got my vietnamese visa and booked a flight from Vientiane, Laos to Hanoi, Vietnam this Sunday. A british guy named Nathan and I are going to kayak from here to Vientiane and then fly together on that flight. From there I rapidly head south through Vietnam, cross into Cambodia for 5 days before meeting Tom in Bangkok. Then its 2 weeks on the Thailand Islands and I come home. Thanks for all of your comments on my blog, they mean a lot to me. Love you guys.

The Slow boat ride, the card playing crew on the boat, New Years eve with Janez and Rich.

3 comments:

ewinkler said...

Kyle,

It's great to hear from you, and I'm glad you’re having a good time. I have to admit I am a little jealous that you get to watch re-runs of Friends all day. Also, lying by the river and going off rope swings and zip lines sounds pretty amazing. Oh, and Dad said he wants you to be safe. Anyways, can't wait to see you remember were coming down for Spring Break. Have a good rest of the week and trip and look forward to talking to you.

Love always,
Erin

CutterFamily said...

Hey Kyle!
its Kelly, Aunt Debbie and Uncle Jim..
looks like your having a great time and making alot of memories.. So glad that you updated your blog.. Hard to pronounce some of the places you have been to and are going to. Love the pictures.. Glad to see you look good, and making lots of friends. Be safe and we love you huge<3 Kelly hopes to visit Vietnam over spring break :D we will check back later.

We love you

Carlee Lueck said...

Kyle,

It was good to hear from you the other night! Im stoked your having such a blast, and meeting some new friends... I have to admit Im a little jealous... Can't wait to hear more stories, and see all the pictures when you get home..Take Care & be Safe!

P.S.
Soon to be "Nurse Lueck" says Dont Forget to take your Malaria Pills

* Carlee